Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Coaching Committee

I guess that I haven't given it much thought, but UGA doesn't have a coach whose sole responsibility is special teams. Instead, various members of the coaching staff are assigned a different unit, i.e. kickoff return, punt return, punt, field goal, etc.

Jon Fabris, Tony Ball, and John Lilly are involved and probably more. Maybe someone in the Dawgnation can help me out on this one. I'm also not certain if any one coach would be classified as the "head of the committee".

The special teams have been pretty solid in the CMR era. A few hiccups every now and then, but that can be expected anywhere. I'm guilty of taking the special teams for granted.

I was just thinking about the Joe T vs UF game and the Sugar Bowl vs WVU and those damned fake punts keep sticking in my mind. Both times we gained momentum and got the stop with a little over 2 minutes left. Both times I was screaming that they couldn't afford to give us the ball back. Had to be a fake........and it was......both times. Successful......both times. They proceeded to run out the clock.......both times. There's no doubt that the WVU fake was a direct result of the first one.

I don't know if one coach whose sole focus was on special teams would've handled the situation any differently. It's just a thought.

Somewhere over there>>>>>>>>>>>>>
is a poll for you to give your opinion, or as always, feel free to leave a comment.

No comments: